Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Stupid.

Good morning all.

I cut my thumb opening up a container of EggBeaters. Sliced right into it. Now, every time I move it, I can feel the cut open up. Yuck! Max (my physics and calc tutor) cancelled for today...apparently he was swamped with stuff. I don't mind so much, especially seeing that we have made so much progress. I got my Rx sunglasses yesterday...boy, do I feel like a major moron now. I can't determine if it is that I feel "old" because I have finally given in or that I just feel like an idiot. I think it is the whole "just an idiot" thing. I very rarely feel old. Sometimes that is a problem. Usually, it comes on when some 10 year old bops me in the head with the truth in that socially unacceptable way they tend to do it. Nonetheless, truth is truth. I have trouble believing that 31 is "old" though.

I failed to tell about this the other day...
Friday morning, as I was driving out of the parking lot from a doc appt, our friend Judy called. She sounded awful. I knew she had been dealing with a bladder and yeast infection for quite a while, but could not understand why they were still hanging around. Since we get together with them every Friday evening for dinner when we arrive in our new city to work on the house, she was calling to let us know what the deal was since we would likely not be able to reach them and we would likely become worried. (Gee, that was a mouthful) She said that she was on the way to the hospital at the direction of her doctor who suspected that she had a ruptured ovary.

Hubby, the dogs and I got in the car a few hours later (hubby couldn't leave early because he was finalizing funeral plans for Monday. My husband is a minister. ) Anyway, we arrived at the hospital where she was still in the ED. Keep in mind, her surgeon sent her to this particular hospital because he was on-call that night and planned to do exploratory surgery.

They took her in and did another CT scan, despite the fact that she had had one just 4 days prior...WITH CONTRAST. Yeah, pump her full of more contrast. Stupid.

Ok, so the ER doc walked in and said that he was taking over for the other doc that had left. He had ZERO bedside manner. He proceeded to tell her that they could not find anything wrong...there was "no inflammation or anything." Then, literally in the next sentence, stated how she had 2 cysts on her ovary and that ibuprofen would be the best for inflammation! WTF? He gave her a discharge sheet outlining cases in which she should return to the ED...she had 75% of them. And...a Rx for Percoset.

After being there at the direction of her surgeon for 11 hours, she insisted on another doctor. She got one. He was very apologetic for the first, but not much more was accomplished. He did a pelvic to confirm that it was the ovary. She asked that I remain in the room with her during this. I have literally never seen someone in so much pain. How could someone discharge her with obviously so much going on? So, he removed his hands and said "Yup, there is tenderness on the right side as you mentioned." Again, WTF?

They discharged a woman who could not walk into the hospital under her own power...and had to be wheeling out.

She called her doctor. He was mortified at what had happened. The instructions that he had PERSONALLY relayed to the ED at the hospital were:
1. Call Dr. (Surgeon)
2. No staff doctor was supposed to see her
3. Tests had already been run...none were to be done
4. She was to have exploratory surgery

This was such a horrible occurrence that I'm certain happens all too often...but, WTF?

I need to go call her now.

Later.

No comments: