Monday, April 03, 2006

No exam...no relief.

We didn't end up having the exam this morning. It seems that our professor fell down some steps near one of the classrooms a week ago and sprained his ankle or foot or something. He rattled on for quite a bit about it, but never really made much sense. Anyway, we have an extra week to prepare for the exam, but I kinda wish that the trauma was over.

Speaking of trauma...Jill Carroll (former freelancer for CSM, now staff) is back home. Thank God. This is particularly moving for me as I was a freelancer for a news organization as well and several of my colleagues and some friends (most are not friends in media) were sent to Iraq to cover the war. While an excellent opportunity, nonetheless EXTREMELY dangerous. It is a bit disturbing how people have lambasted her publicly for making anti-American statements while in captivity. I do not know Jill Carroll, nor am I reader of CSM, but I believe it is utterly wrong to criticize someone for saying things (that they have admittedly denied feeling) under duress. If I had 3 machine guns pointed at me I would say just about anything. The situation is very bad. While I will not express my feelings about whether the war is right or wrong, I will say that death of innocent people is disturbing - soldier, journalist or civilian. Probably the most disturbing thing I have ever seen was while I still working in news. An American hostage was beheaded and the scene was broadcast over the Internet. One of the correspondents and I stared at each other - speechless. It was not a quick death. They sawed and sawed...and he screamed. I don't know that I will ever forget that. Someone said a few months ago about the murder of a family with 2 children: "When those little girls get to Heaven, I hope they don't know how they got there." --- I hope that poor hero doesn't either.

I was going to write about fibromyalgia today, but I think this was more important.

No comments: