Sunday, April 30, 2006

Hot Salad Coming Through!

There is really no better way to describe this incident than the way I did on SDN (besides, I am not sure that I want to relive it!) :

Y'all, it is official. I CANNOT COOK! I was making SALAD and I started a fire (a big one) in the kitchen. In all fairness, I have to disclose that I have never fried in my life and I was frying these little, garlic and EVOO bread crumb covered chicken chunks. Poof...fire. BIG one. I have been working on this meal for like 5 days. (I cut up the baguette days ago to let it dry out.) But, today I had been working on it for about an hour and a half. Gone. We still haven't eaten. Thankfully, I am a real believer in having fire extinguishers in the house. (Hubby didn't even know we had one!) And, it showed me that I actually can be EXTREMELY calm in the face of pressure. HE was freaking out. He is usually the calm one! So, I got the fire extinguisher...took it out of the box, removed the pin...and shot it right at him! I mean, not intentionally...but he was standing next to our bonfire.

Now, we need to figure out where to go for dinner. Great.

Chicken - it's what's NOT for dinner.

Why? Because it is charred at the bottom of a trash can covered in fire extinguisher powder. Along with the grape and cherry tomatoes that had been lovingly chopped and mixed gently with garlic, red wine vinegar, EVOO, basil, salt and pepper.

Nevermind the awesome baguette croutons (approx. 1.5" x 1") that had been cut, dried, and toasted in the oven with a bit of EVOO...don't forget how EACH FRIGGIN' piece had been rubbed with a clove of yummy garlic.

Gee, it was gonna be a great meal. Ugh.

I guess I better go buy another fire extinguisher...I am cooking again on Tuesday.

3 comments:

Sarge said...

Hey Dr Underdog-

Surfed over here from Meg's blog- diggin your style, for sure!

I didn't think that I was much of a cook either, not until I started following Michael Chiarello and Rachel Ray. Helping me achieve the impossible! :)

Good luck to you, cooking and otherwise!

Kim

Dr. Underdog said...

Kim,

I love those two! I can't believe that I actually watch COOKING on TV...but those two somehow get my attention.
Perhaps I should buy their cookbooks instead of following the (flaming, apparently) William Sonoma?

Thanks for reading!

Best..

Anonymous said...

Aww...don't feel bad! Believe me, if there's a kitchen disaster to be made, I've made it! Thankfully hubby can cook much better than I can.