Friday, March 10, 2006

My Biggest Competition

How many times has it been said "You are your own worst enemy?" OK, that was rhetorical. Point being, as I look at the profiles of these wonderfully intelligent (or so it seems) students' profiles on Student Doctor Network (www.studentdoctor.net) I am reminded of what I must overcome. Unfortunately, as difficult as it will be to compete with the likes of Mr. 4.0 and Ms. 41S MCAT, I know that I can kill my hopes of ever becoming a physician without help from the outside world. Self doubt. I had it. That was a while ago. I think that once I sucked it up and acknowledged how much this meant to me, it was necessary that I trash the self-doubt and pick up some confidence and determination. Still, it is not the self-doubt that concerns me; it is the fear of it returning. It can't enter into my new world. Not now...not ever. Self realization - yes. Self doubt - no room.

When I first made the decision to pursue medicine (like I ever gave up the idea), my hubby asked "How far will you go?" The answer was (and still is)...anywhere. I will succeed. Even if it takes foreign soil or the sun drenched beaches of the Caribbean. It WILL happen. There is no question about that.

I hope everyone finds something that they feel this strongly about.

No comments: