Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Community College....ugh.

When I graduated from high school 13 years ago, I felt that the best move for me was to attend a junior college before transferring to a 4 year (and MUCH larger) university. I couldn't have been more correct. I got a fantastic base, the classes were small, the professors were qualified, and the courses were a LOT easier than what I was to see at my Univ. So, when I made the decision to return to school and earn another Bachelors before med school, naturally I thought that my local community college (which has a great reputation) would be the best place to start.

Boy, was I wrong!

My study group for Western Civ consists of students for whom high school was literally months ago. These people don't understand the unrelenting drive to ace classes...all of them. Maybe I was that way the first time around too. Our session today consisted of me sitting next to a 19 year old (maybe 18) guy drooling over the girl sitting across from me. The only other one was a girl who is likely the smartest in the class, but has the habit of contradicting me just for the sake of doing it. It's not as though she is looking for an argument, just my attention. Very strange. She is a wonderful person. Very intelligent. But, it is weird for me to consider the fact that someone could possibly be seeking my attention. But, that is beside the point. Due to her vast knowledge of the subject (her parents were both History majors and one teaches it) she confuses the heck out of me. I.E. the book said that Nero was liked by the masses but dislike by the aristocracy...she insisted that he was hated. Despite what the book said. Perhaps if I were a History major (no one that I know is) the information would be interesting and I would enjoy throwing a fit about the inaccuracy of the text. But, I'm not. So, her tirade simply leaves me worried that somewhere down the road the possible inaccuracy of the book will lead me to missing a question on an exam, which will in turn thrust me into the world of an F in the class, which will obliterate my GPA on which I am working so diligently...of course, that will then lead me to "not a chance in hell of getting into med school" (even a bad one), which will inevitably plop me on my deathbed without attaining my goal.

I know, the logical part of my brain is yelling "GET A GRIP!" While the other side is hounding me: "This could be the question that blows it all." Oh man, my head hurts. Maybe it is talking too much?

Anyway, the smart girl is not the biggest problem...it is the professor that creates the exam. He's a piece of work. The questions come either from the reading (which puts me to sleep) or from the lectures (in which he contradicts both himself and the book!)... um, so the correct answers are not necessarily what is "correct" it is what he believed to have been correct at the time of creation. Somehow, you just hope you remembered it the same way. I remembered it as well as a "B" on my last exam.

Now, back to Mr. Goo Goo Eyes... after asking him why he tolerated such a crappy study session (the cause was the object of his goo goo eyes) he responded: "You remember lust?" I said "I'm married" (I remember a whole lot more than lust, buddy!) I told him that I didn't care if she shoved his tongue down her throat, but don't let the continuity of our session suffer for it.

I got lucky the first time around. This is ridiculous. One semester. I just need to get through it. Thankfully, we are at mid-term.

No comments: