Sunday, May 28, 2006

Car crash

I have been writing that I am exhausted for months now. This move is really draining. Hubby has been burning his candle in a double boiler though. Yesterday morning (Thursday), it all caught up with us. We had practically just left the house to run some errands before the movers arrived to load up and we were grabbing a drive through breakfast. A large Diet Coke spilled over onto hubby as he drove and we both dove for it. I have always preached:
1. Let the drink spill
2. Hit the deer (I grew up in Texas and many people have been killed trying to avoid deer that have suddenly run into the road)

But, he was exhausted and judgment was not what it should have been…

I couldn’t get the words “Just drive” out of my mouth before we were on a one lane road to disaster-ville. I looked up to see us clearly headed off the road and toward a telephone pole. I screamed and closed my eyes. Whatever was before me, I didn’t want to see it. Next, the jump of the curb, then through a light pole (literally like right through it) and into the telephone pole. The airbags bags deployed…thank God! I have never experienced airbags before. I am grateful to be alive…and grateful for the airbags that made it possible. I just sat there looking at the now deflated bag praying “Thank you God, Thank you God.” Hubby had jumped out of the car and run around to my side. I was afraid that adrenaline was not allowing him to feel pain since I knew that I was hurting. I found out later that my side had taken most of the impact.

There was a police officer eating his breakfast in the parking lot that we had just left, so help arrived rapidly. I was taken by ambulance to the ER, but only because I have a history of back and neck injuries and was feeling a bit of tightness.

To make a long story short, I am still not feeling good. More bruises are showing up and my back is feeling pretty lousy. I am a bit unsteady, but I think that is just because the rest of my body is in pain..not because I hit my head or anything. Hubby is fine…thank God! We turned the car over to the insurance company so it could be written off as “totaled.” We have moved and are now surrounded by the walls of our new home and boxes containing the contents of our former one. We are very grateful that our injuries did not accurately reflect the severity of the crash. We are trying to spend more quality time together. I am having “day-mares” about the accident as opposed to nightmares. Hopefully, those will subside soon.

Hug those you love and be an organ donor!

1 comment:

M H said...

Hope you feel better!! What a horrible thing to have happen just as you are getting ready but at least you are safe. I hope you get to feeling better!