Friday, January 04, 2008



I saw Kate today. She looked wonderful. Her hair is gone, but her eyes are sparkling, her color is great and she seems to have put on some weight. I am so thrilled.

I discussed the transition to NP school and she was supportive. I think it surprised her. Frankly, it surprised me. Anyway, now that it is official I am in unfamiliar waters. I have spent so much time and effort (not to mention money) learning about what I need to do to get into medical school that I, of course, know little about the rest. I have done some investigating. I spoke with a friend who is in the program that I will be hopefully getting into and I have changed my schedule for next semester. Someone apparently dropped Human Physiology today and I was able to pick up that spot. No lab spot though. I will call and arrange an appointment at the nursing school next week to just sit and talk with someone about this and that. I will also be contacting an NP over at XYZ Cancer Center to see if I can get a few minutes with her to pick her brain. My mom called and they have a friend who is a Peds Onc NP in San Antonio and I will be shadowing her in May when I go down to visit.

The change is exciting and I think it will be a great fit, but now I have all this knowledge about med school admissions that is useless to me. It was fun learning about it the first time...I guess I better get back in the mood.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear your friend is doing well.

by the way, was wondering how you made the decision to transition to NP. ive been reading your blog for awhile, and noticed you just mentioned it this month. had you been thinking about it for awhile or was the decision to change sudden? are you definetely going to pursue this path now or are you just looking to see whats out there?

Dr. Underdog said...

Thanks for reading the blog.

As for the transition to NP, it is not something that I had been considering. In fact, it was something that I had resisted. I wanted "it all." I wanted to be in control. I wanted to be a DOCTOR. I had shadowed docs, seen how they worked, seen the way that they worked with other docs and nurses. I was satisfied. On Christmas, I had the opportunity to spend a few hours in the trauma/resus room at a level I trauma center. That night was extremely eye opening for me. The nurses did the work..the docs hung back. It was a NURSE that was in control of everything that was happening in that room. It became more about the job and less about the title. I still have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to become a floor nurse. I would likely resume my former career before embarking on that job for the long haul. I looked into what the NP role was all about and liked it tremendously. The nursing model is fabulous. The medical model is interesting, but the nursing model fits.

In response to your question of whether I am just seeing what is out there or this is now my path...
this is my path now. I have changed my class schedule and my science textbooks and MCAT prep materials are in my office ready to be sold. I have a ton of them..know anyone?

I think this is the right direction and it will serve me better. I think I will be able to have a great impact this way and keep my ego in check. My pride is the hardest part about this.

Dilly Bar said...

i guess sometimes seeing the job firsthand gives you more of an idea of what fits you. im so happy for you that you found your fit

are you going to continue the emt class now that you decided to change? keep us posted on how you like np school

Dr. Underdog said...

Yes, I will complete my EMT course and take my state certification exam in early March. I will actually be finished with the class on Feb. 18th.

Anonymous said...

how are things...im sure you must be busy with the new exciting change