Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Another ouch...this one's not mine.




I need to be reading for my classes, but...well, I'm not. I have a meeting in an hour and a half (that I really don't want to go to), then run a bunch of errands and go to a dental appointment at 2pm. Apparently, my husband had a busy evening while I was at my EMT class. A neighbor (and friend) of ours called and said that her husband had been in a car accident and needed some insurance info so would hubby mind watching her 2 young boys while she took it to him. Hubby said yes and jogged over to the house. As he was hurrying up the stairs to the house, he tripped and fell thrusting his finger into a brick retaining wall. Our friend wanted to take him to the ER, but hubby had an important meeting to get to (this was about 6:30pm) so he declined. (The meeting will be outlined below.) He put ice on the finger and went to the meeting. I got home at 10pm and knew nothing of what had transpired. He descended from the attic (our media room) with his hand on a bag of by then thawed peas. He proceeded to tell me he had hurt himself and recount the ENTIRE story of what had happened since I had left. Finally, I got to look at the finger. OMG. Yeah, it was a mess. I grabbed the knuckle and it was apparent that he had grossly dislocated it. I reduced the joint and ran out to the pharmacy to buy a splint and some Ibuprofen. How in the heck had he been able to tolerate the pain for nearly 4 hours and through a meeting?? OUCH! Putting it back in place made me light-headed...it was so crunchy. Perhaps I am not the best person to ask about dislocations. I have dislocated my shoulders 6 times (the right one has since been reconstructed) so my idea of the pain aroused by a dislocation comes from a much larger joint...and it was EXCRUCIATING! Poor guy. I was so in awe of how he calmly recounted everything that had happened as though he had stubbed his toe. Maybe it was that bit of laughter that he had to himself during "the meeting."

Ugh. The meeting.

5 HOURS LATER
Well, I was going to write about the meeting, but it has been one heck of a day so I think I will save it for later.

Over and out. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Dilly Bar said...

I hope you and your husband both feel better soon!

MustangSally said...

Woah, six shoulder dislocations? Do I even want to ask? ;) I have seen dislocations on tv and in person, and I've always been extremely thankful that it wasn't me who had one. Ow ow ow!