Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Decisions, decisions.




I think I have decided to become an NP instead of an MD/DO. Why? I spent the other evening in the trauma/resus room on Christmas as an observer and while the focus has always been on the job, it became entirely about the job and less about the title. As an NP, I would be able to do nearly everything I could as an MD/DO with few limitations. Specifically, periodic review by a physician and lack of Schedule I prescribing privileges. I could still specialize in Oncology in addition to practicing sooner and being educated according to the nursing model which is more holistic and frankly, more me. The autonomy is there. Perhaps not to the extreme that docs have it, but pretty darn autonomous.

What is the one thing that makes my stomach turn? The feeling that becoming a "nurse" as opposed to a "doctor" is settling. My pride, my sick pride.

I am going to talk to Kate in the next couple of days. This is a decision that I have to make...but it never hurts to have a sounding board.

4 comments:

Dilly Bar said...

Hey, I dont think being an NP is settling at all. Because they are trained in a different model. PAs have the same training as doctors but have a lot less of it. Nursing is completely different approach. And I know many NPs and they have a lot of autonomy. In college all I saw were NPs, and they didnt have to check in the with the MD like the PA's did. And NPs in my hospital do a LOT. They have a lot of autonomy. One runs the heart surgery unit pretty much on her own. Think about it, whatever you think fits you. I dont think its settling though at all

Anonymous said...

how do you like your emt class? i think NPs are fantastic

Dr. Underdog said...

Thanks for the comments. Anon, I am really enjoying my EMT course. The people are a lot of fun (though most of them are 10+ years younger than me) and the knowledge is very practical. I leave there on a high and always look forward to the next class. I don't want to run EMS as a career, but I wouldn't mind doing it once or twice a week for a volunteer squad.

MustangSally said...

I'm really glad you're optimistic about something, even if it is "settling." I know that feeling too, I though about other alternatives but in the end I decided to "settle" for a less-stressful career. I think it's the best decision for me, but I'm still disappointed. Lots of luck!