Friday, February 23, 2007

My computer is running so slowly...I wonder why. Oh well. Classes for the week are over and as soon as I get this online homework done I can take a short breather. A friend of mine is coming over tomorrow to help me make some sense out of this mess I call our home. Don't get me wrong, she is not coming over to clean, but to sort through the literal MOUNDS of clothes that need to go to Goodwill, Salvation Army or in the back of my car to hand out on the street. They just need to get out of this house. She knows how long I have been procrastinating and is in shock every time she encounters another pile. These are not minor piles. For example, the one in our basement is about 5' x 6' and a few feet tall. That is not small, nor is it all of our clothes. It is really a horribly wasteful habit. I wear an estimated 5 -10% of my total clothing. That is terrible. There are many things that I have bought and never worn. I really need to stop this. First of all, it is a total and complete waste of money. Not to mention that someone could be getting good use out this clothing. I live in a city where 80% of the population is at or below the poverty line. That number came as a shock to me when I heard it, but it really shouldn't have. Terrible. Simply terrible. AND..HERE I AM WITH ALL THIS SURPLUS. Ugh. If that doesn't riddle me with guilt. Can you tell that I grew up Catholic? Of course, it doesn't take a traumatic Catholic childhood ;0) to recognize an overt act of social irresponsibility when you see it.

Ok, I can berate myself offline. LOL.

My dream med school (about an hour away) is hosting an open house in a few weeks. I am really looking forward to it. I have come to the conclusion that I will be doing an SMP (Special Masters Program) after my undergraduate post-bacc work is done. Most likely, it will be done in Anatomy which I am really excited about. I can't imagine adding 1-2 more years to the many years of formal education still ahead of me, but I am sure it will be the way that I have to go, so I don't see a purpose in waiting to see if I am denied a spot in my first year of application. Besides, I want to increase my chances of getting into 1. my dream med school or 2. the med school that is 3 miles from our newly purchased home. I would really like to be able to sleep with my husband at night, even if that is the only time I get to spend with him.

Over and out for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice you are giving your clothes away. I should do that too but am saving my too small ones for the day I fit in them again. :rolleyes:

Which one is your dream med school? UVA?