Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Volunteering Fool

I spent Thursday and Friday afternoon volunteering. Thursday was definitely more rewarding than Friday. I spent my time with "the cart" on Thursday and did little more. The grand chicky of volunteers took me on a long walk (which somewhat served as a tour) so that we could chat. She wanted to talk to me about what they planned to "do with me" (so to speak). As I mentioned in an earlier post, I will be working with that pilot program for newly diagnosed patients. That will start in September. I will also be working on revamping the way that volunteers are filtered through the system (again, so to speak) and marketing a variety of programs that are available through the center to the metro area. I feel this is all very worthwhile, but I am a little torn. My former career was in marketing/media, I am ready to move on. I offered to help in any way that I could, mentioning my background, so the only person I can blame is myself. I just had no idea they needed so much in this area. As long as I still get to work with the patients in some direct way, I will be happy. I don't want this to turn into my former life on a volunteer basis. I did a bunch of pro bono work before and enjoyed it tremendously. So, this will be an opportunity to do that again. I just don't want it being the only thing I am doing.

On Friday, I worked with a totally different area of the hospital, not even in XYZCC. There is an employee art show/contest beginning next week and yesterday was the last day for people to submit their work. It was hopping, but not fulfilling. People were nice, so I can't complain about that at all. Not everyday can be the best.

My days there will be Monday and Thursday each week. However, this week I will not be able to go because of a previously scheduled engagement. I will go in on Tuesday afternoon instead.
Today, we have a get-together at a friend's house. I am not too psyched about going. We feel really used by these people. I would have bugged out, but my husband confirmed before I could open my mouth. Tomorrow, we have another cookout at a neighbor's house across the alley. We really like our neighbors, so this won't be as bad. It is a celebration for some other alley neighbors that just got married. Here's the deal...the guy that just got married always looks at me like I have 15 heads and totally ignores us otherwise. His new wife is one of the friendliest people you could ever meet. I don't see the attraction, but it is not mine to see. The problem? We hardly know these people. What do we get them as a gift? One is expected, we just don't have the first clue. Hubby suggested a nice bottle of champagne, in hopes that they drink. She smokes, so he felt pretty safe in the drinking assumption. I think he was relying on statistics for this gift. If not, I have no idea what the heck to get them. So, we will take the champagne risk.

Sometime this weekend we must make more progress on the house. Our party is in 2 weeks. The master bath and the powder room must still be painted and the cabinet doors in the kitchen must be completed and reattached. Lots of work. It will be fun.

Ok, I need to go eat some breakfast and get the stuff ready for the cookout at 1.

TTYL.

No comments: