Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sweltering

Unfortunately, the heatwave that has enveloped the country hasn't forgotten us. The mercury soared to 104F today with a heat index of 111! That's insane. Thankfully, I didn't have to go anywhere today, but was mindful of those who did. The plumber came by to fix a problem that had developed since he was last here and immediately commented about how good it felt inside our house. Of course, that doesn't come without a price. When we bought the house, the A/C and heating systems were 20-30 years old and we knew that they weren't going to cut it. So, hubby did a bunch of research and had some spiffy system installed in February. I am thrilled that he did! It has been running like mad to maintain the 72F temperature that we are demanding of it. You know it is hot outside when our chow comes running in the back door when called.
This is the same dog that refused to come inside for HOURS, instead lying outside in the hot, Texas summer heat. Insane! Not today! It was a race to the door. No begging, pleading or threatening today. So maybe the heat does have its perks. :)

A torrential downpour would be wonderful, but I haven't seen one forecasted. So until then, we will just chill inside.

I had some psycho-educational testing done in early June. Today, I got a call for the psychologist who administered it. I do not meet the criteria for "learning disabled," but I am slow on timed tasks my reading level is lower than it should be. The clincher? I "make up for it" in comprehension. I guess it is somewhat funny, since reading comprehension is what drove me there in the first place. Oh well. I am trying to read more to improve the whole level and speed thing, but it is somewhat frustrating to hear. She said that I place way too much undue stress on myself...Setting standards ridiculously high, etc. And..that I should look into guided imagery. Ugh. Whatever. If it will help (or has a chance of helping) I will do it. Maybe I will call tomorrow. I need to get on it so that I can be better prepared for the fall semester.

Until later dudes and dudettes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable dog!