Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Catch Up Time!

It has been a while since I posted so I thought a rough overview of what I have been up to was in order.

We got moved in...sort of. I have not opened the boxes, much less have I begun to unpack them. Only a week and a half more until hubby is finally here to stay. While we would love to have a 4th of July party, I don't see how that is realistic when we have only one path to navigate through the living room. You know it is bad when people walk through the house and don't know there is a grand piano right next to them. I did finish painting the walls in the kitchen....finally. It looks really wonderful. The kitchen is going to be beautiful when everything is done and I must say that it is probably the rooms that is closest to being complete. I still need to re-sand (don't ask) the cabinet doors and paint them. The granite is in as are most of the appliances and the new floor. The dishwasher is still in the center of the room b/c the plumber needs to come over once more. Which brings me to another issue...the master bath. We bought these gorgeous faucets for the bathroom and had Juperana Tobacco granite installed...the two together literally took my breath away. Simply beautiful. The problem arose when the plumber attempted to install the faucets. The threading that is required to attach them to the decking is too short. So, I called Delta (the faucet manufacturer) and I had to order some "thick deck kits" so that the faucets can actually be used. While I wasn't thrilled about having to pay an additional $46, there weren't any other fixtures that we liked better and they still ended up being more cost effective than the next choice. So, we are waiting until the kits arrive to call the plumber to finish the work in both the kitchen and the bath. After that, hubby and I have called a moratorium on construction/remodeling by outside vendors for a while. I am sick of having people in my house. The vast majority of the workers are terrified of the dogs (which I am ok with) but I am sick of having to sit in a room with the pups so that I can have some peace an quiet and the poor dogs don't think we are punishing them. Putting them in the backyard (which was a big requirement b/c of them) is not always a possibility b/c people must go in and out to complete the work they are doing...or it is too darn hot to have the dogs out there for hours on end. Anyway, I am extremely happy about the kitchen and hope to get at least one more room done today.

I went to orientation last week. It was pouring down rain and I had no idea where to find an umbrella...so I wore my raincoat. Unfortunately, raincoats do little to protect one's face from sprinkles and now that I wear glasses --- let's suffice it to say that it was not fun. Aside from not being able to get most of the classes that I wanted (so I took what I could get), it was an enlightening experience. It appears that my classes will be filled with freshmen, but there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to use this semester as a GPA booster. I am taking Nutrition, First Aid, Chem, Mass Comm and Algebra. Despite having just complete Calc I & II, I bombed the Algebra placement test and so I am in that. Hubby keeps telling me that I should go take it again, but frankly I am fine with this. I haven't been in full-time class for like 10 years or something and I would rather take some more chilled back classes than freak myself out the first semester. My mentor thinks that I should drop the First Aid, b/c 12 hours is enough with all the labs. Not to mention..she asked "How many times can you learn to put a Band-Aid on?" Funny. I promised her that I would drop it if the schedule seemed like too much. She was satisfied with that. We'll see what happens.

I met the Director the formal post-bacc program who tried to convince me to jump into that. I just don't think I am ready. It is known as one of the roughest in the nation. Perhaps I will transfer into it next year. He was satisfied with that.

Congrats to all my buds who killed the MCAT. You guys rock and I hope that you will impart some of your extensive knowledge to me when the time comes.

I know I haven't covered everything, but I really need to find a Chem book and start reading.

Ta-ta for now.

No comments: