Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Surgery's not for me

I had the opportunity to shadow a Cardiothoracic Surgeon yesterday and today. I really enjoyed clinic, but got pretty queasy during surgery. I am sure the next time I get to see it I will be much better, but I don't think I am interested in surgery as a specialty. Before this morning, I thought it was definitely and interest of mine. The faces in that room were not exactly pleasant. They didn't look happy. They didn't even appear to be enjoying being there. Hum. There is something wrong with that. The doc I was shadowing was the only one that seemed to be enjoying herself, and she was not exactly happy elsewhere. I liked her. I enjoyed my time shadowing her. She hated clinic. I liked it.

Getting nauseated during the surgery was a bummer. I had wanted to like surgery. I didn't. Unfortunately, I didn't even find it all that interesting. Granted, I left before I could really see anything. I was watching from the observation room as a precaution. I was afraid that I may become ill and I didn't want to embarrass myself. Frankly, the nerves were the worst part. I had never witnessed anything like that before. I am glad that I took the pansy's way out by watching from in there. I got to leave when I became really uncomfortable. Anyway, I am glad that I found out now that surgery was not for me. I was really bummed though...that I wasn't enthralled with it. I thought I would be completely wide-eyed. But I wasn't. Hum. Sad.

Office-based practice here I come! :) This may upset many people. Not me. I learned something about myself. I also learned that just because you are the only female and only D.O. surgeon in the cardiothoracic division of surgery - you don't have to be a b**** to be effective or be taken seriously. She's got my respect and apparently a lot of other people's.

No comments: